Everything About Natural Makeup
In recent years, natural makeup has become all the rage. People are caring more about what they put on their face and body. They’re studying labels, researching brands, and learning about potentially harmful substances found in traditional makeup.
Consequently, people are turning toward more natural makeup like lipstick colored with fruit pigment. It’s also known as clean, green, ornontoxic makeup.
In this article, we’ll explore the differences between natural and regular makeup.
Natural vs. regularThe main difference between natural and regular makeup is the ingredients.
Generally, makeup is called natural if it contains ingredients from natural sources. It usually has a minimal amount of altered or synthetic substances.
Here are some ingredients you probably won’t find in natural makeup:
- Synthetic preservatives. Natural makeup doesn’t contain preservatives designed to increase shelf life.
- Artificial colorants. The bright colors of regular makeup depends on synthetic dyes and pigments. Clean makeup uses natural sources instead.
- Artificial fragrances. A synthetic fragrance is a cocktail of chemicals, but brands don’t have to list them. These fragrances aren’t used in natural makeup.
- Heavy metals. While heavy metals like lead and arsenic are found in nature, they’re linked to health problems at high doses. Natural makeup should meet the safety limits for these ingredients.
CostTypically, natural makeup costs more than regular makeup from a drugstore. That’s because natural cosmetics are often made with high-quality ingredients and no cheap fillers. Plus, they’re usually manufactured in smaller batches rather than mass-produced.
RegulationNo makeup, including natural makeup, is strictly regulated. The
It’s super important to do your own research and read labels when buying makeup.
Pros of natural makeup
- contains ingredients from nature
- has fewer harmful synthetic ingredients
- safe to use on sensitive skin
- usually eco-friendly
Cons of natural makeup
- shorter shelf life from a lack of synthetic preservatives
- natural pigments less vibrant than synthetic dyes
- smaller shade selections
- usually more expensive
Pros of regular makeup
- longer shelf-life
- brighter due to synthetic pigments
- larger shade selection
- less expensive and widely available
Cons of regular makeup
- linked to unfavorable health effects
- contains more potentially harmful synthetic ingredients
- higher risk of allergic reactions
- may be harsh on sensitive skin